Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Toadies

One of my favorite past-times is digging through music shelves at the local cd store allowing the cover art of new beginnings and memories to speak. I hear the passion seeping out from the small 6X6 plastic case, listening to its coalescent chorale of meaning; its "truth." When I take time to think about this process of music selection, it is no simple matter. Musical engagement has its own level of experience and I ascend to meet these voices in anticipation, looking forward to the subsequent "conversation" about to take place. It might seem silly to try and make sense of this experience, but think about it...what are these emotions we feel in anticipation of a brand new cd or for purchasing an old classic from distant paths? What is the unconscious relationship between the self and music?

Growing up i would ride my bike to Karma, my childhood local cd store. The smell of incense traveling through the aisles ready to prompt the emotional indulgence that awaited. Looking to see which cds had the "parental advisory" stickers as i was always drawn to that sticker:) I would pull out my ziploc bag of change to pay for a cd...$12.99 in quarters and nickels; it was spiritual.

My first concert took place at Union Station in Indianapolis; my favorite band at the time was playing and I persuaded my parents to let me go unsupervised. Seventh grade and on my own walking up this backdoor stairwell, already vibrating with excitement. I had my brown long-sleeve UPS shirt on, baggy, ripped up jeans complete with chain, and blue faded airwalks that took me up the iron-grated steps as i thought, "this is me."

2 comments:

Josh said...

DUDE!! I totally love this band! One of the best.

Spencer said...

Josh!! You like Toadies?? We had something in common we never knew...and now you live in VA. sad. miss ya buddy.