Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Crutches hurt!

Have you ever twisted an ankle or broken a leg? If you have, you might need crutches. the crutches you get from the local drugstore that must have been hand-crafted in 1921. The wood kind that need two hand towels wrapped around the armpits for comfort. If you have any experience with crutches they begin to hurt and to hurt bad.

It is easy to use situations in our lives as crutches. Crutches that we lean on so we are able to puff ourselves up or stand a little straighter. Even to the point of thinking that we are better than others. Isn't it true? "I endured this_________...have you? I didn't think so." "I'm going through this_________...U? That's what i thought." Instead, we are to be humble in our actions and our thoughts. How much more does it mean to someone after you have been around someone for some time to THEN hear about a particular characteristic or experience that person has been through that causes verification of who they are.

I was walking over to the library and I began to ask God to give me a thankful heart. My thoughts then moved to why am i asking God for a thankful heart? Shouldn't i just be thanking him instead? So i began to thank God for all that he has given me. From the experiences in life to the shoes on my feet. Thank you God for allowing me to be a part of your life. Thanks for your love for me that gives me breath in places i would otherwise lay dormant. Thank you God for the food that i eat and the friends i have. For my family that you have given me.

If all of us walk around with truly thankful hearts, there is no room to boast. There is nothing that can stand in the way of humility. We have become thankful for all that God has given us and are not competitive, envious or prideful.

Give us thankful hearts...or...Thank you God for providing. Let us practice the latter of the two.

No comments: